Page 19 - ArtMolds Journal June-July 2103 Mod 4
P. 19
Photo 5. Jay is peeling off the alginate from the arm casting.  Photo 7. The tube is filled with alginate. With the expression on  those two high schoolers’ faces makes me suspect that the hu‐ man race isn’t dying out anytime in the immediate future.  tal plaster and cheese cloth. A method I much prefer over using plaster bandages. While it worked, Jeff had to patiently endure about thirty minutes of suffer- ing for art. Also the reason the mother mold had to be in two halves was because the alginate was not thick enough to allow Jeff to extract his hand without re- moving the mother mold and cutting a parting line in the alginate. No matter how carefully done, the parting line will show up in the casting and will have to be re- paired. It worked but I got to thinking that if I could solve the duck bill problem with block molds I might be able to speed up the process benefiting both the castees and the castors. The first thing was to construct a tube of six inch diameter clear Lucite. The length was long enough to include an arm of a six footer from the armpit to the fingertips. I cut it lengthwise on each side and at- tached the two halves back together with three hinges on one side and three latches on the other. The bottom was plugged with a circle cut from a 2 -inch thick piece of Styrofoam insulation. The plug could be positioned in the tube depending upon the length of the arm being cast, saving alginate. We used some duct tape to seal the slits on the sides and around the bottom plug. We calculated the volume of the tube and estimated that it would take about twenty Photo 6. The mold now has three chains in it to support the  pounds of water and five pounds of alginate. alginate  June | July 2013 ARTMOLDS JOURNAL | 19 
   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24